Top Chef and Chopped Canada Winner
Introduction To Her Recipe?
Almonds are a staple in a middle eastern household. The smell of baking and warm spices drives me wild. I love to make this cake when the weather is slightly chilly outside. It’s so warm and inviting.
- 160g softened unsalted butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 200g A.P flour
- 50g corn starch
- 17g baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- .5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 tbps 35 percent cream
- 6 ripe plums, sliced
- 3 tbsp almonds, toasted and sliced
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a springform pan with parchment paper.
- Wash, pit and slice the plums.
- Cream softened butter with the brown sugar, almond extract and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl for at least 5 minutes until creamy white and fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the eggs one at a time for 1/2 minute each.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch and sift into a bowl. Then stir into the egg mixture alternating with the cream.
- Pour the batter in a prepared lined springform pan and smooth everything out. Arrange the fruits in a circle on top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 50 – 55 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Take the cake out of the oven. Let it cool down in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove the springform pan, place the cake on a wire rack and let it cool down.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar and toasted almonds.